Thursday, October 7, 2010

FOOD ART & LANTERNS - EASY PEASY FAST FUN

Food Art
I saw a cute idea in an Australian Woman’s Weekly kids cookbook some years ago.  A face made from a rice cake with olive eyes, capsicum mouth, and alfalfa hair.  I decided to give it a try.  Rather than have the children replicate this though, I thought I would give them ingredients and let them create their hearts desire.  They had rice cakes, cream cheese, capsicum, cucumber and cheese slices.  The alfalfa would have been fun, or even cress, but neither were available.   
Most of the children chose to make faces, but we had a few abstracts and patterns too.
The children took their own photos (these are just some).  They might choose to make a recipe book and this would make a great front cover!

 A fast and easy activity.

 Lanterns
At the end of the first week back, the school put on an Eid celebration social.  We had very little time to prepare decorations.  Lanterns were the perfect choice as Fanooz lanterns feature in Eid celebrations. They are fast to create, and gave us a snapshot of how well children are able to use the scissors and follow instruction.  It is also a fast and easy way to add some pizzaz to the room (especially at the beginning of the year) using the childrens work.  Very popular also, only a couple of the children weren't interested in making one.
A few weeks later a teacher of the younger children asked for the template to make some.  They decorated them before folding and cutting the paper so they look much more interesting and creative than our 'made in a hurry' ones.  


p.s. I know most people will have made these but just in case you haven't - I have a 1 page A4 template for the lanterns.  Happy to email it if anyone wants it.  I just photocopy the template straight onto coloured paper and the children do the rest.

4 comments:

Phyl said...

Hi, I just ready your comment about clay pots at Art Project Girl. I am the person who wrote that I use air-dry clay. My advice is to stick with pinch-pots, as they are strong, and coil pots with air-dry clay are very fragile unless carefully constructed. Too difficult for 4 year olds to get the coils scored and slipped together - I do it with 9 year olds and its a challenge. As for drying time, it depends on weather and humidity, but it will take at least a few days. Dry for a day or two and turn over to moisture is out of bottoms etc. We paint them with acrylic paint, but depending on the type and color of clay, there are lots of options.

Oh - and by the way - this is my first visit to your blog, and I like what I see. I notice you said you don't like lots of color in your classroom, but honestly, I find your blog images charmingly colorful!!

Phyl said...

Me again... Don't worry about "blog protocol" when leaving comments. There isn't one. I have my blog set up so that when anyone leaves a comment, I get notified in an email. It's useful because that way I'm aware if someone leaves a comment on a really old post, that I'd never know about without the email notification. And usually, if I ask a question in a comment on a blog, I check back in a couple of days to see if there's been follow up. Just do whatever works for you!

Anonymous said...

I think one of your advertisements caused my internet browser to resize, you might want to put that on your blacklist.

shar said...

I don't have advertisers, but thanks for letting me know, I will leave your comment up in case anyone else can shed some light.